MUHAS in collaboration with its partners organizes 3rd MUHAS Digital Health and Innovation Week from 13th to 17th November 2023 in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
The MUHAS Digital Health and Innovation Week is a unique platform for companies to engage with the vibrant digital transformation ecosystem in Tanzania and the wider region. Potential benefits and opportunities for Health Tech Nordic companies in attending the 3rd MUHAS Digital Health and Innovation Week 2023 in Dar es Salaam, include:
1. Exploring and Expanding Business Opportunities: A chance to explore unmet needs in emerging markets in East Africa.
2. Engaging in High-Level Discourse and Knowledge Exchange with government institutions, regulators, the business community and private sector, the Swedish Embassy, academia and research institutions, entrepreneurs and start-ups, innovators, civil society organisations and development partners.
3. Showcasing Innovations, Networking and Building Strategic Partnerships with counterparts in East Africa.
4. Gaining Insight into Local Healthcare Challenges to understand the needs whilst developing innovative solutions that are tailored to the Tanzanian context.
5. Visiting Cultural Attractions and participating in a cultural exchange, allowing participants and business delegations to understand Tanzanian culture in more depth. This knowledge can then be utilised to inform the development of culturally sensitive solutions and strategies for the market.
The Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (MUHAS) is a premier higher-learning public institution in Tanzania’s health and allied training, research, consultancy, and public services. MUHAS started as the Faculty of Medicine under the then Dar es Salaam School of Medicine in 1963 and was later upgraded to the Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences (MUCHS) in 1991. Subsequently, in 2007 Article 1 of the Charter of Incorporation established MUHAS; in line with the Universities Act No. 7 of 2005. The University is dedicated to ensuring competency-based education, cutting-edge and implementation science research and providing consultancy and medical and public services. MUHAS has two campuses in Upanga and a new campus on 3800 acres of land at Mloganzila, about 25 km from Dar es Salaam city. The University has recently inaugurated a multipurpose building for the Centre of Excellence in Cardiovascular Sciences, offering training and research in cardiovascular sciences. MUHAS has 91 programmes in biomedical, clinical and allied health sciences. Research is one of the core functions at MUHAS. The University aims to advance knowledge, diffuse and extend the use of technology in learning, provide higher education training for health professionals and engage in impactful health-related research.
MUHAS is ranked 1st in Tanzania, 3rd in Sub-Saharan Africa, 5th in Africa and among the top 500 universities worldwide, per the Times Higher Education Magazine in 2023. MUHAS has memoranda of understanding (MOUs) with various universities and organisations worldwide.
MUHAS is leading a consortium consisting of a variety of digital health and innovation practitioners and stakeholders, including representatives from the Tanzania Ministry of Health (MOH), the Zanzibar Ministry of Health (MOHZ), the President’s Office, Regional Administration and Local Government (PORALG), eGovernment Authority, LM International (LMI), Mälardalen University (MDU), Tanzania Health Informatics Association (TAHIA), and other key partners. The innovation consortium is coordinating digital health transformation programs, including the 3rd MUHAS Digital Health and Innovation Week 2023 and the 3rd Tanzania Digital Health and Innovation Forum and Exhibition 2023.