Mobility Pathfinder 2023￼
£50k-£70k funding available for inspirational, life-enhancing ideas, prototypes, or plans to reimagine how personal mobility options in the UK can better support a rapidly ageing population to stay connected, active, and independent for longer.
Do you have an inspirational, life-enhancing idea, prototype, or plan to reimagine how personal mobility options in the UK can better support a rapidly ageing population to stay connected, active, and independent for longer?
If so, Design Age Institute want to hear from you! Submit an application to their new Mobility Pathfinder Innovation Programme, with between £50-£70k available per project. Interested applicants are encouraged to attend an upcoming virtual briefing session (book on Eventbrite) at 11am (GMT) on Tuesday 28 March, introducing the programme.
About the Programme
Funded by the UKRI Healthy Ageing Challenge, part of Innovate UK, the UK’s innovation agency, Design Age Institute’s Mobility Pathfinder Innovation Programme invites innovators, businesses and entrepreneurs from across the UK to propose personal mobility solutions at ideation stage or beyond that are commercially viable, demonstrate creativity and innovation, and can be supported towards market by investment in good design.
Maintaining personal mobility is essential to preventing loss of ability and ensuring we can live independently and stay connected as we age. There is a pressing need for innovation and scalable approaches that can meet the increasing demand for multiple transport options that are safe, affordable, sustainable and desirable. Whether on foot or on wheels, seated or standing , good design has the potential to help transform how we socialise, work, and navigate the cities, towns, offices, neighbourhoods and homes of our future selves.
What Design Age Institute provides
The Mobility Pathfinder Innovation Programme, builds on Design Age Institute’s successful Pathfinder Innovation Programme, which supports innovators to find a route to market for products and services using seed-funding for design interventions alongside design management support and mentoring.
Awardees will receive:
- Funding of between £50k – £70k* to support projects towards market
- Design management support and mentoring (not project management) from our team of experts in design for healthy ageing. The role of the Institute’s Design Management team is to advise, scope and facilitate the design process. They are from a design background but do not provide design services on the programme. Your proposed budget must allocate funds for design activities including any design consultancy required.
- Access to existing research, exclusive insights into the healthy ageing marketplace, and peer-networking
- Skills development and training opportunities
- Support to run two research development sessions with end users
* Note that while £70k is the maximum that can be applied for, we are looking for a breadth of entries on cost, and value for money will be a key assessment criterion.
Application support workshops will be held in person at the Royal College of Art in Battersea on Tuesday 25 April 2023 2-4pm (GMT) and online on Wednesday 10 May 2023 2pm-4pm (GMT).
- Click here to book for the In Person Session: 25 April 2023, 2-4pm
- Click here to book for the Online Session: 10 May 2023, 2-4pm