- This event has passed.
HealthDay.si Conference “Biotech Meets Digital” – Are we ready for the medical revolution?
18th November 2021 @ 9:00 am – 3:30 pm
This year’s HealthDay.si Conference puts the intertwining of biotechnology and data analytics at the forefront, for the benefit of all of us – the patients. Slovenia can already boast of world-breakthrough innovations at the crossroads of digital health and biotechnology. Don’t believe it? Join our conference virtually on November 18th, starting at 9 AM (CET).
Biotechnology and digital are getting closer. Due to the high development of both segments, Slovenia has a great global opportunity in this convergent field of medicine. Can good experiences from the digital healthcare ecosystem be linked to biotechnologies? Can we create something in this space that could be globally relevant? Can a new “digital Krka” or a new “digital Lek” be created in this area?
In this year’s HealthDay.si conference we will focus on the digitization of biotechnological solutions related to medicine and health, with emphasis on diagnostics, advanced cell and gene therapies.
Selected speakers, including international experts and CEOs of established companies, will share their expertise and touch upon additional topics starting with financing growth by a seed round, PPPs in health/research and ranging to secondary use of health data, prevention, value-based health system, ATMP therapies, digitalization of genomic data and artificial intelligence.
The conference is moderated by mag. Mojca Cvirn, SRC Infonet and HealthDay.si Think Tank member.
9:00 – 9:20: Welcome
- Prof. dr. Gregor Majdič, Rector of University of Ljubljana
- Maja Tomanič Vidovič, CEO of Slovenian Entrepreneurship Fund
- Dr. Tomaž Kostanjevec, CEO of SPIRIT Slovenia
- Dr. Jernej Pintar, CEO of Technology Park Ljubljana
9:25 – 9:40: Special guest – Google Accelerator
- Live from Warsaw: Google Accelerator presents its healthcare startup center with a live contribution from MESI, a participant in the 2021 generation
9:40 – 10:40: Plenary Sessions – Biotech Across the Globe
- Prof. dr. Roman Jerala, National Institute of Chemistry, Slovenia: Synthetic biology for biomedicine
- Katherine Littler, World Health Organisation: Ethics of genetic treatments of patients
- Dr. Thanh G.N. Ton, Genentech: How patients benefit from real-world data
- Dr. Ana Catarina Gomes, CBR Genomics: DNA is Healthcare
10:40 – 11:10: Short break
11:10 – 12:30: Regional & Global Champions in Biotech and Digital
- Dr. Aleš Štrancar, BIA Separations – Sartorius: Per Aspera Ad Astra – In 4 years from bankruptcy to take over for 360m€
- Borut Čeh, Labena: A family affair – how a small company became a serious global player
- Dr. David Dobnik, NIBA Labs: Spin-out from the National Institute of Biology – Our role in the story of gene therapy for SMA
- Dr. Gregor Serša, Institute of Oncology Ljubljana, SmartGene.si – The first gene therapy clinical trial in Slovenia
- Dr. Klemen Zupančič, SciNote: Making an impact in the US from Slovenia
- Dr. Tine Porenta, Lek Sandoz: Advanced data analytics in the development of new drugs
12:30 – 13:15: Panel Discussion – Innovative Financing And Tax Environment
Biotechnology financing requires financing rounds in tens of millions €, yet digitally-enabled biotech can work with less, a few million. Can the Slovenian ecosystem provide this?
- Dr. Jernej Godec, Atlas Ventures (Boston, ZDA)
- Representative of SPIRIT Slovenia – TBC
- Dr. Enej Kuščer, AciesBio
- Blaž Kos, Slovenian Entrepreneurship Fund
- Representative of SID Banka – TBC
Moderated by Nina Dremelj, Alita Capital
13:15 – 14:00: Lunch break
14:00 – 14:30: Back to Our Number #1 – Patients
- Kristina Modic: CAR-T in Slovenia, patient-driven initiative
- Špela Miroševič, CTNNB1 Foundation: A mother spearheading the development of gene therapy for her own child
- Petra Simpson Grom, Koronarni klub Ljubljana: Patients Rehab Requires Interdisciplinary Approach
- Gözde Susuzlu, European Patient Forum: Personalisation of healthcare requires multistakeholder cooperation
14:30 – 15:30: Grand Round Table – Biotech Meets Digital
How can new biotech harness digital to enable personalized medicine at scale, sustainably, and safely?
- Mateja Urlep, CEO Niba Labs and chair of Think Tank HealthDay.si
- Nicole Arming, CEO Roche Slovenia
- Klod Kolaro, General Manager of Endava Slovenia
- Dr. Lenart Girandon, CEO-elect of Educell
Moderated by: Petra Juvančič, CEO of Managers’ Association of Slovenia
ACCOMPAYING PROGRAMME: Show of Innovation & B2B meetings
Show of Innovation, the pre-conference 2-day international B2B networking programme will take place on the 16th and 17th November, on the Confiva platform. Opening event with a virtual tour of all showrooms by Jernej Pintar, CEO of Technology Park Ljubljana, will take place on Tuesday, November 16 at 2 PM (CET).
Registered visitors will have the option to meet in the networking area on both days between 12:00 and 15:00. More information will be provided upon registration to the conference. Send meeting requests to your selected participants and build new business connections!