eHealth Ireland Ecosystem Gathering
‘Digital Strategy Creation – A Health Perspective’
1st February 2019
@ Enterprise Ireland HQ, East Point, Dublin 3
Hosted by Enterprise Ireland
The first eHealth Ireland Ecosystem Gathering of 2019 provided a diverse audience of healthcare and digital industry members, patient groups, government health officials, other government personnel and academia the chance to:
- Gain a global context on the aspects under consideration when developing a Digital Strategy described by Barry Lowry, Irish Government Chief Information Officer, Department of Public Expenditure and Reform;
- Understand how Catalonia are delivering digital health outlined by Adrià García Font, Communications Manager, TIC Salut Social Foundation. Ministry of Health, Catalan Government;
- Appreciate the digital strategy creation from the Department of Health perspective, presented by Muiris O’Connor, Assistant Secretary, R&D and Health Analytics Division, Department of Health, Ireland;
- Be updated on the HSE Insight on the creation and delivery of a Digital Strategy provided by Fran Thompson, Interim Chief Information Officer, Health Service Executive.
A panel comprising Barry Lowry, Muiris O’Connor and Fran Thompson gave the audience an opportunity to have specific questions answered during a Senior Leader Question and Answer session.
During the remainder of the gathering:
- Prof Neil O’Hare, Group Chief Information Officer, Ireland East Hospital Group gave a powerful insight into strategy and specifically an implementation strategy to live by
- Showcasing innovations was provided by:
- A Young Scientist Award Winner, Nicole Marinos, who advised the audience of her innovative visual communication device for MRI, its benefits to users and potential cost savings and
- Sophie Ainscough, BConnect Manager, ALONE, who shared the current impact of technology enabled care solution on independent living, its planned roll-out and shared a specific users experience;
- A case study on how Enterprise Ireland are supporting innovation was introduced by Eoin Fitzgerald, Senior Development Adviser, FinTech, Enterprise Ireland and Eoin Connolly, Technical Director, ConsenSys gave an explanation on blockchain technology and how they have been supported by Enterprise Ireland;
- To showcase innovative projects:
- Marguerite Bourke, Manager, Small Business Innovation Research, Enterprise Ireland gave an update on the SBIR Programme;
- Noel Murphy, Health Innovation Hub Ireland (HIHI) Clinical Liaison and HSE Biomedical Engineer, Cork University provided an overview of HIHI; and
- Owen Bonner, Director, OneSquareRPA, drew attention to the HIHI project from a user experience perspective;
- Brian O’Connor, Chair, European Connected Health Alliance apprised the audience of the continuing growth and extensive reach of the ECHAlliance International Ecosystem Network
Following lunch, during an interactive session using a ‘flying flip-charts’ technique, attendees were given the opportunity to feed into a number of key areas which will be considered by the Department of Health, Ireland in the development of the Digital Strategy from a health perspective.
The European Connected Health Alliance would like to thank all those involved including the host of the Gathering, Enterprise Ireland, for their support and assistance in the organisation of the day, the speakers and workshop participants and all those in attendance who made the gathering a great success.
The presentations delivered on the day can be found here.