International Patient Summary: Policy, deployment, competencies and standards
16 March 2017
Posted by: Heather Smith
What is the state of play of the International Patient Summary? On 7 February 2017, the European Commission hosted a workshop on this topic. European countries, projects and initiatives related to this topic (eStandards, VALUeHEALTH, EU-US eHealth at Work, EURACARE, Trillium Bridge II and JAseHN) discussed policy, deployment, competencies and standards.
A Patient Summary is a digital dataset that includes the most important clinical facts required to ensure safe and secure care. When this summary is made available to the treating physician or the relevant health team, it becomes especially useful (and sometimes even critical) for the patient's safety in situations of unplanned or emergency care.
Several EU member states and regions have already implemented some form of patient summary in their national healthcare system. Now the challenge is to have an International Patient Summary that can be readily accessible and understood at the point of care in any country around the world.
Concerning the International Patient Summary, CEN has launched two new work item proposals, to which you can provide your feedback and vote on until 4 April 2017.
At eHealth Week in Malta (10-12 May 2017) a session entitled 'How to make the International Patient Summary a Reality?' will further discuss the topic.
International Patient Summary Workshop 7 February 2017 - event report
- Objectives of the workshop, Gerald Cultot, Policy Officer, DG Connect, European Commission
- Digital Patient Summary in the Wallet: Bridging the gap from Strategic Intend to Social Impact, Henrique Martins, SPMS
- Landscape to patient summary initiatives: the interplay of standardisation and projects, Catherine Chronaki, HL7 Europe
- Patient Summary Guidelines, Luc Nicolas, European JAseHN project
- Patient Summaries in France, Francois Macary, Phast Association, France
- Patient Summaries in Croatia, Vanja Pajic Croatian Health Insurance Fund, Croatia
- Patient Summaries in Catalunia, Ariadna Rius Soler, TicSalut, Spain
- Patient Summaries in Luxemburg, Daisy Smet & Heiko Zimmermann, eSante, Lx
- Patient Summaries in Austria, Michael Noehammer, Austrian Chamber of Physicians
- Emergency Patient Summaries in Germany, Kai Heitmann, HL7 Europe
- Patient Summaries in Denmark, Jan Petersen, MedCom
- Patient Summaries in Norway, Eirik Nikolai Arnesen, Norwegian Medical Association
- Emergency and disaster management, Harm-Bastian Harms, EURACARE Flight & Shelter
- Aligning VALUeHEALTH for 2020 and Beyond!, Marcello Melgara, European VALUeHEALTH project
- eStandards Roadmap: toward cooperative standards development, Catherine Chronaki, EU eStandards project
- Looking into the future, Stephen Kay, CEN International Patient Summary project team lead