Digital infrastructure, main developments:
- Electronic health record system fully developed at primary and the specialised care (Abucasis and Orion, respectively)
- An advanced electronic prescription system, a unique digital identifier of all people, and stratification of the whole population using the clinical risk groups.
- Remote monitoring management programmes, such as the Case Management Program set in practice at the health department of La Fe University and Polytechnich Hospital (Gechronic). This is a proactive care model aiming at a tight control of patients while they are at home with the purpose of obtaining long stability periods and the consequent decrease use of resources. The case focuses on population targeted on the Level 3 of chronicity pyramid. The clinical team responsible of the programme is a model of integrated including general practitioners, nurses and community case management nurses.
- Big data solution linking imaging data (as a part of the Eurobioimaging, ESFRI), genomic data and structured and unstructured data from the medical records.
Strategy for Health & social care
The health system in València has developed innovative schemes for the care of chronic and multi-morbid patients. In this regard, the system has developed schemes of nursing management, hospitalization at home, early discharge, and others.
A crucial initiative is defined by the recently approved 4th Health Regional Plan, which includes a policy commitment to promote healthy ageing. The Plan aims at improving the quality of life of older people, promoting prevention and health promotion, and taking into account the various community resources that contribute to an active and healthy ageing. The plan incorporates an array of indicators in line with the objectives of EIP AHA.
The active and healthy ageing is also considered as a priority in the Research and Innovation Smart Specialisation Strategy (RIS3) of the Valencia Region.
Based on the above premises, the four main objectives of VLC-Health are: eHealth, personalized health and care, chronic diseases (prevention through healthy lifestyles and prevention), and tourism and quality of life.
The members of VLC Health Ecosystem have been working on:
- Gender issues in health, including ageing and reproductive aspects.
- Proactive management of chronic conditions (Integrated Care) using ICT
- Active and healthy ageing in the EIP-AHA initiative (European Innovation Partnership: Active and Healthy Ageing) including Prescription and Adherence action work groups at regional level, Falls Prevention, Prevention of functional decline and frailty, Integrated Care, Independent Living and Age-Friendly Environments. Cognitive decline, nutrition, Integrated care for chronic diseases, Development of interoperable independent living solutions, Innovation for age friendly environments
- Health 2.0 Improving healthcare information delivery enhancing development of tools for communication and sharing information based on new web 2.0 technologies.
- Big Data Analysis and Business Intelligence to exploit the information available in hospital information systems with an approximation of Big Data and Data Mining, applied to population health and disease management for decision-making in research, and improvement of healthcare processes. Development of predictive models and implementation of clinical decision support system tools.
- A decade of Private Equity and Venture Capital (VC) activity in the hub, dedicated from traditional sectors strategies to early stage investment in technological companies. One fund focused on biomedicine companies. Intensive activity of coinvestment with other Spanish investors, leverage investment with Spanishb banking system and public funding. Redomiciliation of companies towards the VC sector in the USA.
Main projects achieved, realisations
Main projects achieved, realisations 3 main projects already done---
A collaboration culture among the agents of regional and local innovation health ecosystem is the basis of the cluster. For instance, a group of three events organized at CIPF (DCN and VIT Salud co organizers) to understand and transform the critical issues around the development of an ecosystem on Innovation in the health sector, with the Support of KPMG and Banco Santander. This and other initiatives are aimed to align individual strategies of innovation health ecosystem stakeholders towards common objectives and a shared vision for the futures of the sector.
Bioval is the regional association of companies in the Biotech sector.
Dosbio50 the first local dedicated fund to invest in biomedicine early stage companies with the Support of local key players in the sector.
Hospital La Fe – Chronic disease management, patient stratification, primary and secondary prevention, patient empowerment, Big Data.
ITACA – Health social media, quality of information in health, Internet of Things, personal health, process mining applied to health, integrated care management, open platforms for social service provision.
TSB – Internet of Thing applied to Smart Living, ICT for nutritional disorders
University of Valencia-UVEG Health &Wellbeing EU Projects and Food&Health Living Lab
Some of EIP AHA commitments promoted by Polibienestar Institute:
Primary care-based stratification of elderly patients with chronic diseases in Valencia
Age-friendly tourism as strategy to promote AHA and to avoid tourism seasonality
Age-friendly ICTs for promoting AHA and social inclusion
Smart cities in an ageing society
VIT Salud (VIT Health) is the network of Valencia local health innovation ecosystem.
Main opportunities & tenders
There is an important area to be developed in the field of innovative public procurement, which offers opportunities to the public health system, especially in the field of Big Data and Health.
Digital Health is a promising sector in València. Growing initiatives, innovative projects and technologies, new firms, startups, entrepreneurs are arising in fields such as big data, medical imaging, gamification, telehealth, connected (smart) devices, virtual reality, “omics” and bioinformatics, for instance.
València has recently renovated its qualification as Reference Site for EIP AHA, qualified with 4 stars. Demographic change is of special incidence at the city and the region, thus the stemming challenges to tackle represent a great potential for innovation and business.
EIT Health: IBV is core partner and soon, new entities will join as associated partners. SMEs, startups, students, university teachers and research teams are currently taking benefit of this interregional alliance.
Create the investment platform around the research centers, as much as private, public and university.